Chapter One Links
Knocking on Heaven’s Door:
The First Thing You Do…
Do you want Igor stealing your body parts like he did in the movie Young Frankenstein? Wouldn’t you rather have a say about where your parts will go???
If you know you’re going to die but don’t like to think about it – which pretty much means everybody – these links are just what the Grim Reaper ordered.
Let’s get started …
UK – Tired of the same old coffins http://www.crazycoffins.co.uk/
Famous folks die too http://www.celebritydeathbeeper.com/
Did You Know…
- Organs cannot be stored and must be used within hours of removing them from the donor’s body so time is of the essence.
- Signing a Uniform Donor Card or noting your choice on your driver’s license is the first step but this does not guarantee that your organs will be donated.
- What if you die and no one can find your wallet? Or, in the UK, no one checks the Organ Donation Register, the national database?
It’s important to have your wishes written down and to let your family know – hospitals will ask next of kin for permission.
Notes & Updates
If you are considering donating your body to science ( a very good thing to do) you should know that the whole body parts industry is not well regulated and body “chop shops” abound. For more about this practice, follow the link to Lisa Carlson’s Funeral Ethics Organization Fall 2004 newsletter. http://www.funeralethics.org/newsletter
NOTE For anatomical donation of a body to science – one can no longer choose the medical school or facility who will work with the body. All body donations MUST go through The Virginia State Anatomical Program. Here is the link: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/medical-examiner/vsap/
If a link is broken, please let me know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The websites for goods and services are offered for your interest and exploration. The the act of posting them here is not an endorsement. There are some “goods and services” sites with whom I have had positive interaction and these sites are noted by the following: !!!
Interesting article and a new way of disposition. “A Burial Machine That Will Freeze Your Corpse, Vibrate It to Dust, and Turn It Into Soil” http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/a-burial-machine-that-will-freeze-your-corpse-vibrate-it-to-dust-and-turn-it-into-soil?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=atlas-page
Tour The Body Farm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSDCiOW81mk
- The American Association of Tissue Banks (AATB), the nationally recognized accrediting group for tissue banks. https://www.aatb.org/?q=about-us
- The Anatomical Board, State of Florida College of Medicine https://www.anatomy.org/body-donation-policy.html
- American Association of Anatomists as come up with a policy for the handling of donated bodies. https://www.anatomy.org/body-donation-policy.html
- Medcure, accredited AATB member http://medcure.org
- The Forensic Anthropology Center, The University of Tennessee http://web.utk.edu/~anthrop/index.htm
- Revised Uniform Anatomical Gift Act (2006) Revised/Amended 2008 https://www.researchgate.net/publication/5989258_The_United_States_Revised_Uniform_Anatomical_Gift_Act_2006_New_challenges_to_balancing_patient_rights_and_physician_responsibilities
- Sam Houston State University Forensic Science Facility http://www.cjcenter.org/stafs/index.html
- The Forensic Anthropology Center at Texas State University in San Marcos, TX http://www.txstate.edu/anthropology/facts/
- Colorado Mesa University https://www.coloradomesa.edu/forensic-investigation-research-station/donations.html
- UK – Donating your body, Brit style https://www.hta.gov.uk/donating-your-body
- Donate Life America http://donatelife.net
- Gift of Life Donor Program https://www.organdonor.gov/about/donors/religion.html
- The official U.S. government web site for organ and tissue donation http://www.organdonor.gov/
- UK – Transplant – NHSBT – Organ Donation http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/
- The Brain That Wouldn’t Die YouTube movie trailer
- The National Association of Attorneys General http://www.naag.org/
- UK – What to do after a death – England, Wales and Northern Ireland http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/family_parent/family/what_to_do_after_a_death.htm
- Final Passages www.finalpassages.org
- The Funeral Consumers Alliance- state laws https://funerals.org/?consumers=how-to-arrange-a-home-funeral
- UK – Article: How to Obtain DNA Testing – Pros & Cons http://www.exploredna.co.uk/obtaining-your-dna-testing.html
- How to Plan A Funeral EHow.com/how_3455_funeral.html
- How to Plan an Affordable Funeral https://www.usurnsonline.com/funeral-resources/frugal-funeral-planning-50-tips-funeral-budget/
- The Funeral Consumers Alliance- all aspects of funeral regulation !!!
- CBS News report “Ted Williams Frozen In Two Pieces: Meant To Be Frozen In Time; Head Decapitated, Cracked, DNA Missing” http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/12/20/national/main533849.shtml
- Photo courtesy of the Cryonics Institute Cryonics.org
- The Alcor Life Extension Foundation http://www.alcor.org/index.html
- UK – Alcor http://www.alcor.org/AlcorUK.html
- The American Cryonics Society AmericanCryonics.org
- The Cryonics Society ://www.cryonicssociety.org/index.html
- UK – Cryonics https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/project-focus-cryonics-who-wants-to-live-forever
- Cryonics Meetup Groups http://cryonics.meetup.com/